Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Collecting Crazed

  1. #1
    Inactive Member christhedolllady's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2004
    Posts
    85
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does anyone ever feel overwhelmed when an outfit is retired or something really cute comes up on ebay?

    Over the past 5 or 6 months, I've added 3 dolls and purchased at least 15 outfits. Now I want to add 3 AG outfits (those off the website but may still be available at AGPC), 2 non-AG outfits and an new AGOT!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know what you mean. I was going to use my share of tax refund to buy a chair for the living room. I spent it on doll stuff instead! [img]eek.gif[/img] I liked so many of the monthly sale offerings that I completely forgot about the chair!

    The next two months, I am going to figure out a NON-AG item list and place it where I can see it. And it will have "CHAIR" at the top of the list.

    It will probably take six months to recoup my AG spending from January and February. But I've got a house with six guys and sooner or later they're going to figure out that I'm using the money for um, a not-the-chair and some not-the-rugs and a couple not-the-curtain-rod-to-replace-the-bent-one-in-the-dining-room.

    Julia

  3. #3
    ponydreamer
    Guest ponydreamer's Avatar

    Post

    Julia...you're so funny! I think the forgetfullness thing should be blamed on the doll collecting. Yes...I'm going to use that excuse. Or...maybe that will backfire.

    I do feel overwhelmed, sometimes. I think because I haven't felt like doing much but sitting this winter and spring, I have purchased more than normal. And sometimes I feel kind of guilty. I mean...I don't NEED any of it. But it's just so much fun!!!!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Shawniec's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2004
    Posts
    274
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes! It is very hard just trying to keep up with impending retirements and potentially "seasonal" outfits for the 4 historicals we have PLUS the 2 other historicals I expect to see join our household by this time next year. It is also frustrating as I find myself buying what I think may retire rather than my absolute favorite outfit (such as buying Felicity's traveling gown as her first outfit rather than her summer gown).
    Like you, Julia, I have been neglecting household items so the credit card bill doesn't look too too high at the end of the month [img]redface.gif[/img] . I am trying hard to be good: when the new sale items came out I filled a shopping cart with everything I wanted and went through the order process but somehow found the strength to cancel at the last minute!
    AG is taking all my money and filling up my closet with hidden, future gifts - it is an illness, no doubt about it
    [img]eek.gif[/img] .

    Shawn

  5. #5
    ponydreamer
    Guest ponydreamer's Avatar

    Post

    Get this....I used DH's business card today to order another Marisol! I told him that I bought him a doll. He just looked at me with a look akin to pity. Like..."the poor girl, she's really lost it!"

    I just didn't want to pay for the doll myself!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member annkirstin's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by christhedolllady:
    Does anyone ever feel overwhelmed when an outfit is retired...?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Most definitely. I have gone into several crazed frenzies when I found out something I didn't have yet for my dolls was retired or retiring, b/c I cannot afford ebay prices when that happens. I managed to get the items each time but it took a lot of doing, involving trading, the post office losing stuff, friends placing extra orders with AGP for me, etc.! Then of course whenever I do place an order I'm always trying to scrutinize the possibilities and determine which items might most be in danger so I can buy them first. I'd rather just order what I want most first!

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 27, 2005 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Ann, Samantha fan ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Shawniec's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2004
    Posts
    274
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Ponydreamer:
    He just looked at me with a look akin to pity. Like..."the poor girl, she's really lost it!"
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's so nice that he is sympathetic! My DH has gone from perplexed to mildly annoyed to verging on angry. To his credit, I am the one who is always going on about all the things around our house that need fixing and renewing. I really need to hit that 'ol lottery big-time!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Momof2agfans's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 4th, 2004
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're all so funny! I can relate to all you've said! I went shopping for myself yesterday for Chicago. My girls are always well dressed, but I'm always last on the list to get new clothes. They both have their matching Club T-shirts, and the Mystery shirts. Didn't want Mom to look like a ragamuffin. I'm looking at jeans thinking, $32.00 for jeans?! That's 1-1/2 outfits! I did end up finding some on sale though. [img]smile.gif[/img] I went to a garage sale the other day, and the lady had a beautiful rolltop desk. She was asking $50. for it, but she said she was so done with the garage sale, and it looked like rain, she'd go lower if I was interested. Kit's is $70, that really hit home for me! [img]redface.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I start feeling overwhelmed when there is a sale or a code that is going to expire. I am very glad the code was over. I kept planning ways to maximize the code and get everything before the price went up or an outfit was retired. It must go back to the days of women "gathering." I have a very strong "gathering" instinct, LOL.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member rachie421's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    712
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh my Lord do I feel your pain! When I got back into collecting last fall I went a little crazy on ebay :S I really wanted to get anything of Lissies that was retired and as soon as possible. Even tho Im in debt to my parents Im still glad I got what I did but I have slowed since then. But I know when Elizabeth debuts I will go AG crazy again. It is overwhelming and I blame a lot of it on there policy of not giving a lot of warning on retirements so you feel rushed. They also shouldnt bring out new stuff as much as they do I think, esp the big stuff. In one yrs time they will have introduced Nellie, Marisol and Elizabeth! Thats crazy. Collecting should be a nice hobby, not something where you feel rushed into getting it asap before it retires or runs out [img]confused.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •